Sunday, January 20, 2008

Getting sucked in

(The stairwell at the Vatican Museums)

Lately, I haven't been very efficient or productive at home. First, I gave myself permission to accomplish nothing. It was relaxing, probably too so. Lazing around after work watching TV and going to bed way too soon. It was an experiment. I'm glad I don't have a recliner or like to watch football or drink beer. Then, I progressed to just thinking about all the things I should be doing but hadn't. Kind of like in an out of body experience. You really should vacuum the house more often. But why? You don't like vacuuming and the house isn't that bad. That is why I don't wear shoes in the house. Ok. But maybe there are those dust mites. Fair enough. Dust mites can cause allergies. I'll put it on the list. Vacuum the house. Haven't done it since the New Year. But I thought about it. And it doesn't look that bad.

Then, I started eating more healthily. Like in brown rice and broccoli. And taking all my vitamins. Now I had lots of energy but no focus on exactly what to do with it. Just a sort of restlessness with no where to go. Like I get when I need to go on vacation. But I can't go on vacation for, at least, oh, I don't know, maybe next year unless the Bush tax cut is really big.

So, I decided to take yoga up again. Seeing how it's been a couple of years from when I had rotator cuff surgery and tore a tendon in my foot running. It would have been hard to do downward dog with only one arm, more like downward tripod. And, there is no way I could stand on my foot to do the yoga positions. That limited me to laying on the floor in a meditative state and I do that at home all the time!

So I signed up. And, I really enjoy going to the yoga class. I can empty my mind. I can be at peace. I can focus on the wonderfullness of ...nothing.

Except now I don't seem to be arguing with myself about what I should and shouldn't be doing and in what logical, progressive order. And, I've decided to give myself permission to do what I want to do first and not what I should do. Because if I do what I want to do first, all the other stuff seems to get done anyway and I'm getting way more stuff done. Except the vacuuming.

4 comments:

Tui Snider said...

Love the photo! It reminds me of a nautilus shell.

Glad you've got your energy back. :)

I enjoy yoga, too, but I really need a mat. These marble floors are not made for such exercises!

Homebody at Heart said...

Oy, it makes my hips to hurt even thinking about sitting on a marble floor. I use double mats on wooden floors. I'm not sure if any of the houses in Italy have wooden floors. Stone tile seems to be the flooring material of choice. Long lasting yes, but on the body, ouch!

Anonymous said...

I've been doing yoga off and on since I was a child. So many benefits, huh?
Such a cute post and the photo is great!

Homebody at Heart said...

Thanks, Maryann! Yes, I'm enjoying yoga immensely for the physical, meditative and really overall health benefits. It seems to incorporate so much of what I've learned in my life.